Group Discussions

What type of freelance work do you do?

Subscribe
  • I was talking to a friend yesterday and she mentioned that she is thinking of becoming a freelance web designer -- she works for a web dev firm at the moment.

So I am curious -- what type of freelance work do you all do?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 11th March 2008
  • I'm a freelance web designer, too!

I work full time at a graphic and web development firm, but freelance on the side doing web design and front-end web development. I also offer web hosting and related services. I don't do programming myself, but sub-contract that type of work whenever necessary.

With freelancing, you're also able to take on more challenging jobs and turn them into learning experiences to help further your own skills, etc. Something that you don't always have the liberty to do when you're working for someone. Doing it on your own, you're able to decide - hey, I'm going to take this job and spend extra time on it learning some new technique (obviously you can't bill the client for your learning curve time - but it's great that you can make that decision for yourself).

GL to your friend! If it's something she does for her day job anyway, she's already got the skills and talent. It's a good way to make some extra money, especially if it's something you love to do!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Selene M. Bowlby on 18th March 2008
  • Selene -- did you design your avatar? I love it!!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 18th March 2008
  • I´m a freelance writer and blogger. From the time I realized what writing was, I wanted to be a writer, so I´m living my dream, finally! It´s a lot harder than I imagined as a kid, though!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Genesis on 19th March 2008
  • Nataly - Glad you like it, but I can't take credit I bought that on iStockPhoto.com - although I did change her hair color ;)

I have yet to take a good photo that I like enough to put out there (plus I've always been wary of it for some reason? Paranoid? Probably, lol). So, in the meantime, I wanted a cute avatar (something different than the standard Yahoo avatar or whatever).

Anyway, glad you like her! It's a vector image, so I paid more than I normally would for cheap stock images. You can bet I'm getting my use out of her, lol (using her for all my avatars, and some banner ads and landing pages, etc.)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Selene M. Bowlby on 20th March 2008

Add a Reply