Group Discussions

Confess! Do you have a business plan written for your business?

Subscribe
  • Quick tally! Do you have a business plan written for your business?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by SK on 18th March 2008
  • No! -- a power point, 6 pages was the first one. And a LOT of notes.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 18th March 2008
  • Nope. I started one years ago, but never finished it. So much has changed since then, although the basic premise is the same. I have new specifics now (such as a niche market), but I still don't have it all down in one document.

How important are business plans, anyway? I'm not looking for funding or anything (I don't want to be "that" big, kwim?) So I don't need one of the big official business plans. But having a basic one down might help give me a better sense of direction.

There just always seems to be something better or more important to do...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Selene M. Bowlby on 18th March 2008
  • No! I opened up almost 6 months ago and also only have notes on bits of paper everywhere! Right now I am trying to pick a direction, so I think I am going to force myself to sit down and at least try to get one together!!

Linda

www.crazy4color.com
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Linda on 18th March 2008
  • I do have a formal business plan. There are some things that have changed since it was written but actually sitting down to write it really made me think about a lot of different things and was a very valuable exercise.

For anyone considering writing one, there are lots of good templates online. I didn't have any experience with business plans before, so I found several that I liked and combined the appropriate ones into my own plan.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by April Mims, Career Coach on 18th March 2008
  • Me neither! It was (past tense because it's probably lost in the computer somewhere by now) half finished. What has it done for me lately? Nothing! I think they're really necessary if you're wanting investors, partners, etc.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by DandiK on 27th March 2008
  • Woulda, coulda, shoulda, but I haven't formally done so either. Lots of notes but nothing set.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 28th March 2008
  • Yes, I have one but scaled it down from what it was. I think it is guideline and should change as your business changes. I have it for funding purposes.

I am happy I have one because it felt great writing it all down on paper and gave me more of a focus.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 29th March 2008
  • Yes, I have a formal business plan- it was the first thing I did. I refer back to it quite often.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Earthmama on 29th March 2008
  • I have a formal business outline, does that count? I think that the essentials of what i hope to accomplish are there, but i am hoping to do this under my own funding. It was a great exercise to help me streamline and focus on ultimately what i wanted out of the business. I had all sorts of ideas and when they were all put in a row there was a lot that needed to be filtered out to help make sense.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by DebbiF32 on 31st March 2008

Add a Reply