Group Discussions

Taking an outside job

Subscribe
  • I just got a part-time job as a development coordinator/grantwriter. I'm taking a lower-than-usual rate because a) it's a non-profit, b) I will do a lot of learning on the job, and c) they are super flexible with my hours and working from home. Yay! I'm still a little nervous, though. Does anyone have words of wisdom? I have to buy clothing since they don't allow sweatpants in the office, and will have to make time to take care of all of my copywriting clients, my blogs, AND my next novel.

Am I biting off more than I can chew for the dream of a steady paycheck (in addition to my freelance stuff)? BTW, I have two young children (preschool and 2nd grade) not to mention a husband who I seldom see these days.

Ro
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Rosemary on 21st March 2008
  • Have you considered working from home? I work from home with Ameriplan, I get daily pay, benefits & 401K. I have tried lots of other opportunities and they never worked for me. Ameriplan has been really great, I get lots of training and networking with other women and moms. You can check it out, it is for real www.freedomathometeam.com/40561882. If you get started right away you can generate an income immediately. It's great because you can work around your families schedule.

Lenice

RHubbard@ameriplan.net
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lenice on 21st March 2008
  • Congrats on the new job!

It does sound like you have a lot to juggle, but hey, that's what makes you a rockin' working mom Have you checked out The Working Closet Blog here at WIM? Susan offers some great tips there about putting an affordable and stylish work wardrobe together. It's here:

http://www.workitmom.com/bloggers/workingcloset/

I think my only words of wisdom would be to prioritize -- figure out what you HAVE to do (e.g. this new job, spending time with family, perhaps your freelance clients) and what might have to wait a bit (e.g. your novel). I love to write as well, so I hate giving advice about putting your novel on the back burner, but I do think prioritizing things makes it all easier to juggle.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 21st March 2008
  • I wish you the best of luck, many moms have to work and juggle the kids and stuff, our business can make up the money you are working now, and you can work in sweatpants from home. If you are ever interested please email me and I will be glad to share it with you.

Take care,

Maria
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Maria on 24th March 2008
  • I think a few people here have misunderstood. I own A Word or Two, LLC, which is a freelance writing business. I have existing clients, but only a few as yet. One novel is already published and my readers are clamoring for another (yay!), and I do this within my business. I'm adding the part-time job to a) have a steady stream of income that doesn't arrive intermittently like my freelance checks, and b) so I can learn a few new skills to later add to my business.

I don't need another business. I have one to which I am adding.

Thanks for the clothes closet link. Ironically clothing is one of the main things that is stressing me out about the job right now!! <See reference to sweatpants.>

Take care!

Rosemary
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Rosemary on 25th March 2008
  • Oops. I should put down my url so you know I'm legit, huh? LOL

-Rosemary

http://www.rosemaryob.com

http://writingmilitarymom.blogspot.com (in case the webmaster hasn't fixed my broken link yet)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Rosemary on 25th March 2008

Add a Reply