Group Discussions

Marketing Firm vs. Do It Yourself

Subscribe
  • Hi

Just wondering how each of you approached your marketing strategy. Did you hire a firm or do it all yourself? In retrospect, what were the pros and cons of the path you took?

Thanks for sharing!

Michele aka Party of 5
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by PartyOf5 on 23rd March 2008
  • Hi Michele,

So far we have done our marketing ourselves and it is definitely slow going! We have a very small marketing/advertising budget, so there wasn't much of a decision process.

On the plus side, it is extremely rewarding when a marketing effort pays off and you know you have done it all on your own! The negative would be that it takes time (which I don't have much of) and a lot of research (and lessons learned) to find the best ways to do it on your own!

I still have a marketing firm on my list of things that I would love to implement when my budget grows!!

Linda

www.crazy4color.com
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Linda on 24th March 2008
  • I marketed my first book myself and had a lot of success. I don't have the money for a professional firm, so I did a ton of research and dove in. Now I am marketing my freelance business and it is taking off. Hopefully it will all work well so as to propel my next novel to the bestseller list!

Rosemary

URL

URL
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Rosemary on 25th March 2008
  • Hi Michele,

I have zero dollars that I want to spend on marketing so I'm doing it myself mainly through networking. I have noticed once you get your name out and about it does make all the difference. No one knows your business better than you and it costs you nothing but time (LOTS) to try it on your own.

Best of luck,

Kelly
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by DandiK on 27th March 2008
  • Thanks for sharing, everyone! Yes, it is true that no one knows your product better than you! And you have the most vested interest in promoting it.

Thanks for the input and best of luck to all your businesses!

Michele

aka Party of 5
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by PartyOf5 on 2nd April 2008

Add a Reply