Group Discussions

Your Opinion Matters to Me

Subscribe
  • I am constantly trying to improve my blog at www.motherhoodincorporated.com/wordpressgeneral/ . Many of you are blog writers and company owners. In exchange for your opinion on what we could do better, I would be happy to either feature your blog in our blog -- or to put you on our blog roll. We get about 4000 readers per month and are acquiring 35+ new readers daily on average. I would love to help you and help me at that same time. I have found the women on this site to be warm, witty and wonderful. Thank you for any of your advice and please let me know how I can help promote you on my site inexchage...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by sandra beck on Monday
  • I love the clean, pretty layout Some recommendations I would make:

- more photos - a post with a photo is twice as likely to get read

- write a descriptive, informative about page

- move your categories up, right now you have archives showing first and that is rarely used so put it near the bottom of your sidebar, underneith your blogroll

- put a subscribe to our RSS feed button at the top of your sidebar, makes it easier for people to add you to their feed reader (like on http://chrysanthemoms.com)

Check out this article: http://northxeast.com/blogging/31-days-to-becoming -a-better-blogger tons of ideas (well 31 anyway, lol).

I would love to exchange blog roll links with you

Crystal

http://chrysanthemoms.com
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Chrys on 21st April 2008
  • Color it up a bit! It is very clean and nice to look at, but webpages with orange and red are more likely to attract hits... or so earthmama said goDaddy tips have advised her. I think the layout is refreshing, but what do I know?

You can also put a banner ad in your sidebar for your business site... this gives people easy access to see your business. I can help you write the banner/button... (for free!),

if you are interested.

I think having a blogroll is useful as well, because people will find you that way. Usually when I put someone on my blogroll, they add me to theirs... so it increases exposure.

www.looksgoodinpolkadots.wordpress.com

Good Luck!
  • I am new to blogging and found this discussion and article helpful. I have been in a personal struggle with content - how much is too much but feel I have been making some progress. Feedback is appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you while I work on a better 'about page' for my blog.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Blarney on 22nd April 2008
  • I really like the clean simple layout of your blog (and it's great reading too!)

I agree with Chrys and Yes, Mommy's comments about the about page, more photos, RSS feed, etc.

I think the most important thing is the About page (with either your business logo or a photo of you) and/or your banner ad for your business. I had to read several posts before I found a link to your business site (and before I figured out that it was a group blog!)

I also noticed that your meta-description includes the phrase "Real stories from real moms with real solutions". I think "It's not just a job, it's an adventure" is a great tagline, but the "real stories, real moms, real solutions" might make it clearer what your blog is about (for your readers who find your blog through search and don't click through from your business site).

Finally, I'd love to do a link exchange with you! My blog is www.laptopbaglifeline.com
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by EllenHart on 22nd April 2008
  • An about page is something many of us look for when we come across a blog we like. It is human nature to want to reach out and know this person... who they are... what makes them tick, etc...

Here is the link to my about page. That's not to say its perfect or even the best way to go about it.

Use this page to let people know who you are and why you are writing. If it's a multiple-author site, takes guest posts, etc... make that known! Also, include how to submit an article. Make your business obvious, but don't let it attract from the content on your site.

Do what feels right. My first blogging attempt a couple years ago was abandoned. I feel that my blog now is a great representation of who I am and what I am trying to accomplish.
  • Sandra: Great idea seeking input from other moms... the worst part of being a solopreneur is having to figure it all out on your own! I think you need to do something about your About page! I like your content. i'd like to be blogrolled - my site is motherhoodtootherhood.com I'd be happy to link to you in return.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Julia Roberts on 22nd April 2008

Add a Reply