Group Discussions

Favorite part of working outside the home?

Subscribe
  • Working outside the home has it's disadvantages - but it also has advantages! What are some of the best parts of working outside the home?

for me - it's the social aspect! i didnt have any meetings today and i could have worked from home, but i chose to come into the office instead. I also dont have laundry staring at me in my cube! on days like today when it is BEAUTIFUL outside and everyone else is out playing - i get SO MUCH accomplished!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 25th April 2008
  • I'd have to say the adult interaction and the chance to work without the at-home distractions (laundry, cleaning, cooking -- you know, all that stuff you always tell yourself you "should" be doing because you're at home, after all, even when you're working).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 25th April 2008
  • I would definitely agree about the social interaction. I love to see my friends here at work.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Amanda on 25th April 2008
  • I also enjoy the social interaction. I love being able to enjoy a nice lunch with co-workers when it's a slow day in the office.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Priscilla on 25th April 2008
  • It's all about the social interaction for me, especially on Fridays. We usually take lunch away from the office and chat about non-work stuff. This is a great time to get advice/support from other working moms.

I also agree that it's easier to work without the distractions around the house. On the rare occassion that I do work from home, I find myself getting into personal things and forget that I'm supposed to be working.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by peytonjacksmama on 25th April 2008
  • The fact that it keeps a roof over our heads and food on the table

I enjoy the social aspect, but for someone with Asperger's Syndrome it's a little different. I am perfectly happy being home alone all the time
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by DiannC on 25th April 2008
  • I definitely love the social aspect, but I also love being able to (mostly) leave work at the office and not take it all home with me.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by EllenHart on 25th April 2008
  • i agree! the social aspect is great! even when it's quiet, there are people around and this makes me happy. i dont really know anyone that doesnt work or works from home so if i am home - there is no one to talk to!

My guilty pleasure is going to lunch out at resturants real resturants with work friends. i love being served and having someone else cook and cleanup! and lunch time you can find good deals so i dont even sweat the cost. though i do try to limit to twice a week as there are a lot more calorie tempting options at those places too! haha!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 28th April 2008
  • Definitely the social/collaborative aspect of it. Sometimes I have to put on my blinders and just crank stuff out, but when I need to bounce ideas off someone else, or go over something bigger, it's nice having my co-workers handy to duck in a conference room to talk.

We use IMs a lot, and in the event someone is working from home it helps keep us all connected.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kelly O on 9th June 2008
  • I like having the separation of home and work where I can focus on one thing at a time. I love that I have help with my daughter in the wonderful women at the daycare she is at. I also really like the fact that my husband has to be a better dad because I need him there. He would always be a great dad, but with our current situation he needs to be more involved, and is.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Stacey S on 10th June 2008

Add a Reply