Group Discussions

Clinton vs. Obama vs. McCain

Subscribe
  • Every time I turn on the news, there's some pundit discussing which democratic candidate would be stronger against McCain in a general election, basing his argument on Clinton's or Obama's primary results. "She's not getting votes in the big cities," "He's not able to connect with rural voters the way she can," etc. It seems to me that all of the arguments assume that if, say, Clinton wins the nomination, she'll lose against McCain because every single Obama supporter will feel disenfranchised and vote against Clinton. (And vice versa, if the pundit who has the stand is a Clinton supporter -- if Obama gets the nomination, he'll lose because he can't connect with a certain demographic).

Now, I may be confused here, but I don't get the math. Shouldn't the real issue be the number of people who vote democrat vs. the number who'll vote republican? If a democrat doesn't get his choice for nominee, would he switch his party affiliation (or not vote at all)?

Enlighten me, please, people!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 9th May 2008
  • I am also confused by this. If Obama doesn't get the nomination, I am still voting democrat. If I had to choose between Clinton and McCain, my values are still the same...right???
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by olive on 9th May 2008
  • I'm with you guys. The reasoning just isn't there...I think it's a ploy to make news where there isn't any.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 9th May 2008
  • Okay I am a huge Hillary supporter, and I agree that they will not be uniting forces. If Hillary does not make it I will just not be voting. There have been polls that Obama supporters are more willing to support Clinton then those of Clinton supporting Obama. I believe that regardless who makes it one will be running for President and the other will be up for Vice President and they will do to try to get both supporter to unit but I still don't feel that I would vote for Obama even with Hillary as a Vice President. I just feel that Obama does not have the experience to be president and his supporters are supporting him simply to make history not to make an improvement to our country. I could careless about the first female or black president in office!! I just want someone to clean up Bush's mess and I feel that she has the most knowledge, skills and power to succeed. I mean it does help that she is a female but even if she was a he I feel the background is just more appealing.

Actually, she is capturing all the important states with the big cities, he is just right up there close to her in those states. PA, NJ, NY and CA etc... but she lost many delegates from Fl or she would be way up in the lead.

I again would not vote at all! Regardless I feel that the only challenge that McCain would have is Hillary that is why I believe even Republicans are out voting for Obama to beat Hillary so that it will be easier for McCain to be in office.

Once again I hope I don't offend anyone because this is only my opinion.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Cathy on 12th May 2008
  • I truly believe that the media just looks for items to have something to talk about. After all, they have to fill up their news time with the topic of the moment. Right now, the country is focused on the election. At least the media want to makes us think that is what is most important to us. I am sure that there are a lot of people who hang on every word by the media. I for one do not. I have a life to live which is far away from Washington. Don't get me wrong, I do keep up with current events and I do plan to vote democratic. I just don't get caught up with the media hype.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by lynn59 on 12th May 2008
  • Quoting: Cathy
    Okay I am a huge Hillary supporter, and I agree that they will not be uniting forces. If Hillary does not make it I will just not be voting.

I've heard many Clinton supporters say that if Obama gets the nomination, they won't vote at all. That baffles me. If you prefer Clinton, why is McCain a better choice, in your opinion, than Obama? (Because by not voting at all, you're essentially choosing the person everyone else votes for. And if Clinton supporters won't vote for Obama, then the Republican voters are going to have more weight than the Democrats, and McCain will end up in office.)

Quoting: Cathy
    There have been polls that Obama supporters are more willing to support Clinton then those of Clinton supporting Obama.

See, that seems reasonable, to me. Support the candidate who hews most closely to your ideals -- even if she (or he) isn't the person you most want nominated, he (or she) has got to be better than a person who is opposed to the things you care most about.

Quoting: Cathy
    I just want someone to clean up Bush's mess...

And, as "a huge Hillary supporter," you feel that McCain is a better choice than Obama for that, if Clinton doesn't get the nomination? Sorry, I just don't get that mindset.

Any McCain supporters want to weigh in? Why do you feel that McCain is the best choice?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 14th May 2008
  • Lylah,

I think that neither Obama nor McCain can clean up Bush's mess it took a Clinton the first time it will take a Clinton to do it again. So I would rather not vote then support someone I feel will not make a positive difference simply b/c he is a democrat. I look for qualifications as well as my interest, and technically all the candidates support some of as well as oppose some of the things I care about the most. I just think that whether it be Obama or McCain neither one will get my support only Hillary will and sorry that you don't comprehend my standings on the decision.

I use this example: If you had to eat Poison Ivy or Poison Oak to live knowing they were poison... would you eat one or not eat either one??? and just take your chance? That’s where I stand I would not eat either one and take my chance.. So I wouldn't vote for either one and just hope for the best!

Sorry!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Cathy on 14th May 2008
  • Quoting: Cathy
    use this example: If you had to eat Poison Ivy or Poison Oak to live knowing they were poison... would you eat one or not eat either one??? and just take your chance? That’s where I stand I would not eat either one and take my chance.. So I wouldn't vote for either one and just hope for the best!

Cathy, I didn't mean to make you feel under attack -- I just had this same exact discussion with my mom last week (the voting part, not the poison ivy part). She feels the same way you do, as do several of my friends and other family members, and, intellectually, I just don't understand it.

You "Poison Ivy or Poison oak?" analogy is interesting but I think it is flawed. In the case of this election, you may avoid choosing between two candidates you don't like, but one of them will still be president -- there's no third option waiting in the wings. Or, to continue with the poison oak idea, if you refuse to choose poison ivy or poison oak, no one is going to offer you lettuce instead. You still end up eating poison ivy or poison oak -- but someone else chooses which one, how much, and what else you'll have to eat with it.
  • I understand what you are saying but I just can't find it within me to support someone that I truly feel will not help our country. I actually would love it if we could take both Hillary and Obama and combine them to make one individual then it would be awesome. I think that if Obama had Hillary's experience and knowledge, I would vote for him hands down, but I just don't see that he does. I will just weigh it out and see what happens!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Cathy on 14th May 2008
  • Hillarak Clibama! Ballary Obinton!

Add a Reply