Group Discussions

Edwards' decision

Subscribe
  • How much weight do you think John Edwards declaration of support for Obama will carry with the remaining uncommited superdelegates? Will this have any impact on the remaining contests?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Niki D on 15th May 2008
  • I'm not really sure what Edwards' endorsement will mean for the rest of the campaign. It wouldn't surprise me if it got lots of superdelegates energized in the Obama direction. I did think that the timing of the anouncement was brilliant strategy though. It seems to have completely overshadowed the WV primary. I'm anxious to hear other opinions too. I am so ready for the end of the primary season.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 15th May 2008
  • I am very ready for the end of the primary season. I am anxious to see if McCain and Obama stick to their vows to campaign on the issues and not go negative with the tabloid, gossipy stuff that we've seen lately.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Niki D on 15th May 2008
  • I was elated when I heard John Edwards decision as breaking news on CNN last night. I have been waiting for him to make his declaration for so long b/c I knew it would have a long standing positive impact with whoever he decided to go with.

I believe that his support at this time was perfectly timed b/c it will send a resounding message that it's time to pull the party together. It will also help Obama bridge the gap btwn himself and white blue collar voters in the battleground states b/c John has a poignant connection with them that Obama can learn from and incorporate into his message. Just the fact that John has come forward says that blue collars workers can have faith in Obama where maybe they lost faith before b/c of the Rev. Wright story or their own private hang ups with race. This may be one more push in the direction to bridge and extinguish the lasting remains of racism that still burn like stubborn embers left in a camp fire.

The support of Edwards 19 delegates will also push Obama nearer to the 2025 delegate mark much sooner than expected which would send a clear message to Clinton that it's time to close ranks and elect a nominee as she tries to continue pushing the nines and prolonging the inevitable which is hurting the party.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by caramelsugarberry38 on 15th May 2008
  • I thought early on that Edwards seemed to be campaigning for Vice President, rather than for President (Edwards supporters, don't hate! I'm not saying he wasn't capable or worthy, I'm saying that I think he realized early on that his chances of winning the nomination outright were slim). So I'm not surprised that he's throwing his weight behind the person whom he feels will probably get the nominiation.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 15th May 2008
  • I'm also glad that Edwards is throwing his lot in with Obama.

I must say that this week I'm terribly disappointed that Hillary has not gone on the record to disavow voting for her because Obama is black. Nor has she helped squash the rumors that Obama is a Muslim. It seems to me that Edwards said in one debate that if someone was thinking of voting for him because they didn't want to vote for an African American or a woman, Edwards didn't want their vote. That's the kind of thing Hillary should say also. Instead she seems to be trying to capitalize on the prejudiced vote. Ick.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Anne Florenzano on 15th May 2008

Add a Reply