Group Discussions

Former Bush aide Scott McClellan's new tell-all talks about Bush and Iraq

Subscribe
  • In his new book, he says that Bush deliberately relied on an aggressive "political propaganda campaign" instead of the truth to sell the Iraq war and pushed the issue in such a way as to virtually guarantee that force would need to be used:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/artic les/2008/05/28/former_press_secretarys_book_bashes _bush_1211979655/

What do you think? I, for one, read the above article and thought, "Well, duh." It still made me angry anyway, though...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 28th May 2008
  • For me it just gives credibility to something I thought but wasn't entirely sure was true. I'd like to say I'm disappointed but I feel numb to all that Bush has embodied for this country.
  • Agree with you both. What a depressing read and, yeah, "duh" - the way the war was "sold" to the public is an all-time low moment for the US government. It was so damn blatant. So any book relying on that to sell is...probably not going to sell so well?? I mean, we know it already!! On the other hand, a book by a disgruntled former press secretary is kind of a big deal. I wouldn't buy it or bother reading it, but I will definitely check out the reviews!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 29th May 2008
  • There is definitely a "duh" factor to the book, but it is pretty exciting to hear someone who was formerly part of the Bush administration coming out with this. Up until now, they've kept up such a stone cold front that you couldn't melt ice on them...It's nice to see the facade breaking down somewhat...even if it is a little late to be actual news.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 29th May 2008
  • I agree- I may be too cynical these days, but I think what's interesting here is not the content, but the author! I was living in Texas during those years, and I suspect that there are some 'behind the scenes' shenanigans going on here... Scott McClellan's mother is Carol Keeton Strayhorn, who used to be the comptroller in Texas, and who has a very contentious relationship with the current governor, Rick Perry, and there is a lot of infighting in the Republican party in Texas... so I have to wonder, why is this book coming out now? And who stands to gain from it, aside from McClellan's bank account? (In the interest of context, I should point out that I'm not a Republican, so my view is slanted from the other way.)

But it's sad that the content is so patently obvious and true, isn't it? Argh. As a military spouse, I can't think too hard about all the lives affected (globally) by this whole ordeal, or my head will explode.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Traci on 29th May 2008

Add a Reply