Group Discussions

Anyone using a clothesline?

Subscribe
  • When we moved into this house I was excited that there were clothesline poles in the back yard. I was determined to start using it. I don't know exactly what took me so long, but 15 months later, I just started using mine two weeks ago. The clothes dry much faster than I thought they would. One thing I don't like is that they clothes are pretty stiff when you bring them in. One other fact is that it forces me to stay caught up on the laundry. I can't hang tons of loads out at once, and I don't want wet laundry sitting in my basement.

Anyone else using a clothesline? Have you noticed a difference in your electric/gas bill? Do you like how it works? Any little tricks for pinning up clothes or for the best time of day to use your line?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 27th August 2008
  • I use something like a clothesline, yes. Hang drying actually keeps your clothes nicer for longer. I have a rack that I hang everything on with hangers and let it dry but I keep it inside. I dry certain items but the only clothes of mine that I dry are sweats. I would def recommend it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by oceans mom on 27th August 2008
  • I haven't used a dryer in 5 yrs. I hang everything outside until the weather turns cold then I hang it inside. It does save a lot on the electric bill. Add some white vinegar to you fabric softener dispenser. The vinegar will help break down all the residue & buildup from the detergent & you clothes will be softer. It will take a while to notice the difference so don't give up after the first try. The vinegar also works as a good replacement for fabric softener.

I typically do my laundry first thing in the morning & let them hang all day. The hotter it is the faster they dry unless it is humid. They also tend to dry faster if it is windy. You have to just try out different things for you climate.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Tammy on 27th August 2008
  • I have a clothesline but I only use it to air out duvets, our tent, and pillows. I love my clothes dryer too much to give it up. But my in-laws are from the UK and use clotheslines to dry their clothes. I must endure crunchy towels when I visit them. I believe they must be so used to it and think they even prefer it since when they visit me I always end up with some towels and bath rugs on my clothes line much to my dismay. I said all that to say that I noticed my mother-in-law irons almost everything that is hung on the line (except maybe towels etc) and I think this is how she gets things to look soft and unwrinkled. I suppose that is a no brainer. I don't like to iron either which is probably another reason why I have a hard time giving up the use of my dryer.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Melinda on 27th August 2008
  • I have one but I need to use it more often. Seems like I do much of my laundry at night and so it's too late to hang it out. I want to get better at it. Here in KY it pretty much doesn't get too cold to hang the wash out. Unfortunately, I don't have the space indoors for a clothes rack so it's either the line outside or the dryer.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenns on 28th August 2008
  • I use a clothes rack to dry my baby's clothes and I put it outside to dry in the sun. We also hang most of our clothes to dry so they are not destroyed in the dryer. The only thing I really use the dryer for is towels and sheets. I got hooked on hanging clothes outside when we lived in Italy. The dryer's heat came from a gas bottle and I was always afraid it would blow up. Also it reminds me of when I was a child and my grandmother always hung clothes outside to dry.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by OmKareem on 28th August 2008
  • OmKareem, I love that you say that it reminds you of your childhood, because I always feel nostalgic when I'm out hanging clothes to dry. However, I don't even have memories of anyone using a clothesline.

Tammy do you know how much white vinegar to add? Does it make your clothes smell like vinegar?

Melinda, I agree that crunchy towels are not the most pleasant...

I'm really excited to put line dried sheets on for the first time. I've heard that they smell like sunshine:).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 28th August 2008
  • I love line drying my sheets in the summer! My fave, by far. We use the line a lot except for the dog bed and other heavily-furred things (well, not the pets. They get to air dry!). The fur comes off better in the dryer.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 29th August 2008
  • MY JEANS GET HUNG OUT TO TRY ALONG WITH SHEETS AND FUN STUFF LIKE RUGS, BUT I LIKE THE TOWELS AND SHIRTS NICE AND SOFT! HhOWEVER, IF YOU START DRYING OUTSIDE AND THEN THROW THEM INTO THE DRYER WITH A NICE SMELLING FS SHEET, YOUR DRYER TIME IS MINIMAL :) LINDA/CMAS, BS, RN
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by BizNurse on 29th August 2008
  • Back in Europe, I used to do that a lot, and followed the unwritten rules that my grandmother thought me, like place them by size, gender, and other categories. The best scent I got on them was in the winter, because the crisp air gave them an extra clean smell. It was funny when it was really cold, and they were frozen…
    I don’t do it outside now, because of neighborhood rules, and doing it inside is not the same.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Zoica on 3rd September 2008

Add a Reply