Group Discussions

Is Media Bistro worth it?

Subscribe
  • I'm about to jump in and begin the process of beginningto sumbit letters so I can start freelance writing! I was putting it off until the beginning of next year, but after speaking to my husband about my dissatisfaction with what I am doing now he said why wait? Well, I'll still be working my current job (need the money!), but if I can start submitting queries, etc. maybe I can jump in and get my feet wet a bit and see where this takes me.

I've checked out the Media Bistro site (even have their book on freelancing)... wondering if anyone else has signed up for their AvantGuild membership and if it is worth it or not? It's not that it's terribly overpriced, but I wonder what I will gain by joining.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by patsyk on 18th November 2008
  • When I was doing some writing I used to check out Media Bistro often, although I never signed up. I think one of the benefits of the membership is the How to Pitch feature -- which you can only read if you have it. I am not sure if you have to be a member to post your freelance profile, but that would be one reason I'd do it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 18th November 2008
  • From the look of it, both of those features require membership. The how to pitch section would be really helpful since I'm just getting started and it would be nice to know how to gear my queries to specific publications. I may just sign up for 1 year and see how much I can learn during that time.

Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Thanks, Nataly, I appreciate your input!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by patsyk on 18th November 2008
  • I recently signed up for a one-year membership so I could post a profile in the freelance marketplace. I have gotten a few leads, but nothing yet that has panned out. I am just starting the process of re-launching a writing career that I'd put on hold to run a boutique for the last four years. So I reserve judgment for now.

Incidentally, I have my own mommy blog (irreverant and silly). Would love your feedback, comments, etc.

http://chroniclesofmomnia.blogspot.com

Looking forward to more discussions!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by rosana on 11th December 2008

Add a Reply